Bryan Lewis Saunders – Near Death Experience CD (OCCD43)
"The bastard son of William S. Burroughs, Antonin Artaud and Crispin Glover. Hilarious, awful, heartbreaking and brutally honest, his Stand Up Tragedy is some of the best shit I've heard in a decade" - Lydia Lunch. Bryan Lewis Saunders is a multi-media artist, poet, videographer, and performance artist from Tennessee mostly known for his disturbing monologues and somniloquies, a master of an outlandish universe of his spoken word. In 2006 he started his own label, Stand-Up Tragedy Records, and since 2007 has been performing in Contemporary Art Museums, Media Arts Schools, and at music festivals mainly in Western Europe. "Near Death Experience" is a 2010 recording, originally produced by Erratum as an LP release, that takes his twisted world and jams it into a 74-minute mindfuck. He channels his disturbance into his creativity, using visual art and musical performance as alternative ways to deal with recurring demons and mental health issues, conveying a message about the power of addiction. “For hundreds of years, artists have been putting themselves into representations of the world around them. I am doing the exact opposite. I put the world around me into representations of myself as I find this more true...” - B.L. Saunders. "Near Death Experience" is an extreme sound poetry collaboration with music from Joachim Montessuis, Marcelo Aguirre, Christopher Fleeger, Michael Peck, John Duncan, Spastic Dementia, Kaontrol Kontraos, Murmurists, and Tracy Lee Summers, from harsh noise to heavy drone, an impressive and immersive piece of contemporary art. Limited edition of 300 copies printed in a lavish, full-color glossy 4-panel digipak with a 20-page booklet with all lyrics. First 50 copies come with an exclusive A3 folded poster.
1. The Social Masochist - Music by Christopher Fleeger
2. Hide And Play Dead - Music by Michael Peck
3. Subject In Question - Music by John Duncan
4. The Store - Music by Christopher Fleeger
5. Promethazine - Music by Joachim Montessuis
6. Near Death Experience - Music by Spastic Dementia
7. PCP Poetry - Music by Joachim Montessuis
8. Methanol - Music by Kaontrol Kontraos
9. Brain Death - Music by Murmurists
10. I Am A Vulture - Music by Joachim Montessuis
11. If I Was A Cat - Music by Christopher Fleeger
12. If My Mother And I Were Monkeys - Bryan Lewis Saunders
13. I Quit – Bryan Lewis Saunders
14. Death Of A Loser - Bryan Lewis Saunders
15. My Deepest Darkest Fears - Music by Kaontrol Kontraos
16. Mercury - Music by Kaontrol Kontraos
17. The Meaning Of Life - Music by Tracy Lee Summers
Vocals by Bryan Lewis Saunders except Track 7 with vocals by Joachim Montessuis and Track 11 vocals by Marcelo Aguirre. Produced, mixed, mastered and edited in 2010 by Joachim Montessuis. LP version published by ERRATUM MUSICAL – EM006 – www.erratum.org
Tracks 1, 4 and 11 recorded by Christopher Fleeger, FL 2008.
Tracks 2, 5, 7, 10, 14 vocals recorded in 2007 by Joachim Montessuis at KHM - Academy of Media Arts in Köln in David Larcher's final Blalab seminar "non-dit".
Track 3 vocals recorded live by Jason Mckinney, TN 2006. Music recorded by John Duncan at O'Artoteca in Milan 2006.
Track 12 recorded by Gaël Segalen, Paris France 2007.
Track 6 recorded and mixed by Rainer Robben at Audio Cue in Berlin between 09/09 and 01/10. Spastic Dementia is Marcelo Aguirre on drums, scream and guitar-like gutterals.
Track 8, 15 and 16 vocals recorded by Bryan Lewis Saunders, TN 2008. Music recorded by Todd Burris, TN 2007.
Track 9 recorded by Anthony Donovan, Northampton 2007.
Track 17 vocals recorded by Bryan Lewis Saunders. Music recorded by Tracy Lee Summers, Paris France 2008.
Tracks 5, 7 music by Joachim Montessuis, Paris France 2009.
Photographs by Alice Salyer